*EXCERPTS FROM DR PATRICK IFEANYI UBAH’S GROUNDBREAKING WELCOME SPEECH.*
*HANDSHAKE ACROSS THE NIGER.*
– “Handshake Across The Niger” is an epoch making and symbolic assemblage of great Igbo and Yoruba minds aimed at celebrating all that binds us as a people as well as commemorate two great leaders, Late General Aguiyi Ironsi and Late Colonel Francis Fajuyi whose mutual supreme sacrifice signifies the quality of unexplored brotherhood between the Igbos and Yorubas.
– Understanding the ills associated with the continued mistrust between the Yorubas and Igbos, Nzuko Ummuna took it upon itself to be “The Bridge Builder”. Across the Niger to re-visit, explore, sustain and strengthen the bond between the Igbos and Yorubas as well as advance our mutual coexistence in today’s Nigeria.
– The fact that the Igbos and Yorubas have lived together for years without any tribal clash despite all that has been done to probe a sword into the heart of our brotherhood speaks volumes of our unprofessed love.
– Rather than educating our generation and the next about our similar history and culture as empirically proven or the fact that notable scholars in humanities, history, archaeology, sociology, linguistics and anthropology have all presented facts to prove the old age relationship between us, we have allowed falsehood to thrive.
– The time has come to set these records straight. The time to put an end to this destructive propaganda that has fostered hatred and animosity in the South is upon us.
– With the full backing of the apex socio-cultural groups from both divides, Ohanaeze Ndigbo led by Chief Nnia Nwodo and Afenifere led by Pa. Reuben Fasoranti, this event is set to demystify certain myths and falsehood that have sown great distrust amongst Southern brothers.